Friday, 30 November 2012

Visiting Professional: Joe Gilmore / Invites (Brief 4)

Joe of Qubik design was our visiting professional today. A lot of Joe's work was actually relevant to the two briefs I haven't finished yet so I found myself making loads of notes about how I could improve my work inspired by some of the things Joe has done. I've also made a blog post about the publication design.


The work is quite different to my style, but I am really interested in graphic design like this, with a focus on typography and the grid. Its been one of my targets to work more on these skills and this is something I want to work on again for fmp. 


A mix of typefaces and styles in one design can work really well instead of using an image, which I would normally just automatically go for.


The choice of stock is so important in making an invite stand out, but also keeping it relevant to what you are inviting people too. Subtle print finishes or special spot colours can make the invite seem more luxurious and interesting to the person who receives it. Also, the invites don't need to be the typical a5 size, as a few examples show how well the square format also works.







There are lots of examples of invitation design for the cultural sector on the Qubik website, which are all very relevant to me. The examples have made me think about how I am laying out the information, and to keep things neat to a grid and simple. I've also thought of a few things I need to include on the invite from these examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment