Wednesday, 14 November 2012

Brief 3 / Book Design


This is an amazing book of some projects Hat Trick have worked on that Andy brought in to show me which has completely inspired what I will do for this brief. I don't want to end up just copying this book but there are so many aspects of it that I like that it has really made me think of loads of ideas at a time when I was a bit stuck with my design ideas.

I love the A7 size, its quite unusual for a book to be printed this size, but makes it seem like a pocket keepsake you can carry around with to easily look at for inspiration, which is something that it would be useful if you could do with the rule book I aim to create. Although the book is tiny in size, it still contains a good amount of content to keep the reader interested.

The inside pages are printed on to thick glossy paper, which really helps the colours of the designs shown inside to stand out. I haven't printed on to this stock before so it might be a good idea to try this. Each project featured in the book has quite a few pages dedicated to it, so although it is still a small book, the information is arranged in a way that does not over crowd the page. The book contains minimal text to make the images stand out.

I also really like the cover, as it is so simplistic, and might even be considered boring if it wasn't for the spot varnish, which makes this book really appeal to the target audience of graphic designers. Because it is such a small area, I think anything else would be too much, so I think the design of this cover and book is spot on and will influence the design decisions I make for my book.




_________________________________________

This is a photograph of some of the books that I have, and I do think that a smaller size book works really well when the book is a keepsake to be treasured. The smaller the better I think for making it interesting, as you don't often get the smaller books, so it would be quite unusual. Stock choices and print finishes are also important, as well as how the book will be bound.




No comments:

Post a Comment