Following on from my previous research into decorative type, I've looked at the work of Jessica Hische as I found her style quite relevant to what I have been creating in the type tutorials I have been doing, and what I aim to do with my book.
These business cards show how this style of type can be applied to products, and with the use of colour, and choice of stocks can really help it to look special. These cards look like they have been letter pressed, and I think the choice of a print finish would really help this decorative type to stand out.
The style of joining up the letterforms in as many places as possible and linking all the text together is something I have done in a few tutorials, and I think these are really good examples of how it can look as a finished product. As always, while these quotes need to look good, legibility is key.
This style of ribbon text is something I have been focusing on, as it is an effect I tried out in a tutorial that I particularly liked. By creating the shadows and adding highlights the text really stands out, almost looking 3d. These examples make me think that it my next attempts I need to spend a lot more time on getting it perfect and really concentrate on the positioning of the shadows. Also, considering how it will work against a background will help me to think about how my final piece will look.
Here are some more examples that have got me thinking about what I will actually include with the decorative type. I don't know whether to include a patterned background, some form of imagery or to keep the background simple to let the text stand out so this is something I will have to play about with.











No comments:
Post a Comment