Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Brief 3/ Breaking The Rules of Type


When I was in the process of creating my quotes based on what I learnt in the type tutorials I had done, I thought about how I was creating rules, but in the way I was doing so, I was basically ignoring the rules of type I had just been reminding myself about. I decided I liked this, and so wanted to look at David Carson's typography, so I could play on this.

He is a really obvious example of breaking the rules of typography, as some of his pieces are on the verge of being illegible. I think sometimes people have mixed feelings about Carson's work, but I think a similar style could work for me. It would maybe be easier to read and less busy, if I used my decorative text quotes against a plain background.


Similarly to the type I have been creating, a lot of the letterforms Carson uses are touching and linked to the other letterforms in ways that they naturally shouldn't be. I like this style and think this is something I will keep in my quotes. I may consider linking the words as well, as Carson has, so that they flow better. 


 


I need to consider what background I apply my quotes to, as for example, I think with Carson's typographic work, the text with a simple but coloured background behind it works best to add something more to the image. I need to start playing about with layout of the text and the other information that will be on the page as well as just the typography.

No comments:

Post a Comment