Sunday, 18 March 2012

YCN... Eco Friendly Designs

As we have thought about making our designs eco friendly, I have done a bit of research into some of the existing eco friendly graphic design thats out there.

///


A range of printed materials, including stickers, posters and postcards were also produced to reinforce the campaign messages and, in line with the environmental nature of the campaign, all the items were produced using the most environmentally friendly techniques and materials such as vegetable inks.


I like how simplistic these designs are, with text only, and it being the message and the concept that is the most important part of the design.

We could take the brown paper bag idea, and propose that Peacocks print onto paper bags instead of plastic ones, or we could create canvas bags.


///


How to be an environmentally friendly graphic designer:


Obviously this is only a mock up, and the only resources we can really use are the college printers, but if we were really proposing this campaign we should use recycled paper and find a greener printer.

Case Studies:



Ten ways design can help fight climate change - A6 brochure from waste make-ready sheets, french-folded and printed on the plain side.

I like this idea of up cycling, its something I've seen about before. It might be more suitable for screen printing, but I think it could look really good and it is obviously helping the environment. I don't know if it would match the style of our designs, but it is something worth considering.





Brochures, menus and business cards for restaurant, Canteen, in London. Although designed more with aesthetics in mind than the environment, all items are printed on off-white recycled paper using a minimum of ink for a beautiful and sophisticated effect that keeps the environmental impact to a minimum.

I really like these simplistic designs that don't waste any ink, I think they look sophisticated and on trend, something we do want to represent about Peacocks, so this could be an idea for the mailshot or some other piece of design.






- The compact size of the booklets makes optimum use of the printing sheet. The guides have three sections defined by alternating coloured (100% recycled Sugar Paper) and white paper.


These design on recycled paper look really good, and I like how the colour works with the paper. They look more interesting than a standard print, and I think printing on to recycled paper could be what makes Peacocks stand out against other fashion stores.



- Report on green consumer behaviour
No excess packaging, self-packaged, the cover wrapping around the contents to become the envelope.
- Recycled paper
- Colour-set is manufactured from 100% recycled pre-consumer fibres.

This is another good idea to self-package the product, it could be something Chloe considers when designing the mail shot. The envelope could open up to be the invite. This would save bits from being lost, and keep everything together, while saving paper.


///

Upcycling



My friend bought this interesting towel from Liberty in London, where an old tea towel has been brought to life with a new design screen printed on top. 



Tickets - From D&AD New Blood exhibitor [harrysmithdesign.co.uk] So many train tickets must be wasted everyday as they have no use once the journey is over, but this is a great idea, to screen print over the ticket to turn it into a new ticket. This idea stood out after the exhibition from all the others as it looks good, but is good for the environment too.

- Some more examples of up cycling to consider



These very modern type focused designs are to promote a traditional village green festival. The problem is that an event needs advertising but the organisers and designers wanted the promotion to be environmentally friendly in fitting with the event. To solve this problem, the designers used 100% recycled materials, including the t-shirts, which are old T's with the new logo printed over them. The typical audience may be older people, but the new modern design of bold typography and simple imagery representing bunting will also draw in younger crowds as they are 'cool' designs. The audience will interact with the pieces by using them, visiting the event and then re-cycling the designs.

- This is another example of how good printing on to recycled paper can actually look when combined with the right colour choices. I like the paper bag examples, this is something I want to try out.



///


Following this research, I have thought about how we can bring the environment in to our designs. [see blog post]

No comments:

Post a Comment