Sunday, 22 January 2012

Image... Types of Type

For my second image brief, I am looking at type as image. While I have researched type as image as a specific subject, I've also looked at different 'types of type' to give me some things to think about, such as what I saw in the presentation from Amber. Normally, I'd either create my type on the computer, or hand draw it probably with fine writer, so maybe it is time to try something new.

TYPES OF TYPE
not totally relevant but inspiring... to get me thinking!

Most images are from the blog: fortheloveoftype


I have included this example because I like the mixed media effect, with a hand drawn font and then computer generated type. I like how texture is created through the crumpled paper, and use of selotape, and how the colouring in of the hand drawn letters is not completely perfect. This is a good example to show that not all type has to be created perfectly on a computer.


This image shows that the type doesn't necessarily have to be drawn straight on to paper, I could create it on another surface and then photograph it.


This is an example to show that they type could be created out of a material, turning the type 3d, but then back to 2d as it would be shown through photography.


Type can be found in different places, it may be existing type that is photographed and used again, or type that is drawn on to an unusual surface and then photographed.


Type can be beautiful both computer generated and hand drawn, especially in this example, with different weights of thickness and the use of shading to really make this image more dramatic.

 

Type can be made as 3d and then photographed. This is probably a time consuming process but the results are effective.


Type can be crafted, with letters made from other objects. This is something I have done before, such as in a brief last year, where I created my own type for the response to the opposites brief. Type could also be stitched, carved, arranged etc...

Type can be displayed in an unusual way, such as this 3d type which requires the viewer to wear glasses to see the 3d effect.


Type can be made up of other type, this was one of my initial ideas for how I could answer the brief, and this is an example of how if type is arranged in an organised way it can make up another letter.


Print techniques, such as the processes we learnt in the print module, need to be considered when designing type, as this can effect the visual outcome. For this brief I don't have a lot of time, but if I did, I would like to consider letter pressing or screen printing my final piece.


Type can be made from food, or anything really, for an unusual and memorable outcome.



Type can be decorative and made up of other objects to work as image. The choice of stock also effects the final outcome of the type, and the materials it is made from. When hand drawing type, this might not necessarily mean just drawing with a pencil, but by trying different materials such as paint, watercolours, inks... etc...


This is a photograph from a BAGD LCA yearbook, featuring Lucy Gibson's page. There is a mix of 3d type and printed type arranged to show the contrast between the two.





Beautiful weave alphabets, digitally edited to alter the colours, showing how beautiful type can be hand made.




I have found this a really fun subject to research and didn't realise before hand just how beautiful type can be. I've always considered myself an image person, but it is good to know that I can combine type with image, to create pieces that not only look good, but can be used as means of communication. I think this post will be useful to look back on for other projects also.

No comments:

Post a Comment