Thursday, 26 January 2012

Image... Scale/Frame/Format... Research

Secondary Research

When I was given the object pear to work from, I initially did not feel very inspired as I didn't think there would be many different ways in which I could draw a pear - an object with not much detail on it. I really needed to get lots of research as a starting point to help give me some ideas.

Creative uses of pears in craft and design

A lot of these images are from etsy.com or from printandpattern.blogspot.com. I was surprised about how many different creative ways people had to found to make imagery of pears. I noticed in a lot of the designs colour and pattern plays an important role. As I can only use two colours, and my images need to be simple to make sure that they can be seen and are still legible from twenty feet away, I can't rely on colour or detailed pattern to make my work stand out. These images got me thinking of ideas, and I drew a page of different pears inspired by some of the creations I found.


Drawings and photographs of pears

As I don't know much about pears, I did a bit of research to find out what different types look like so I have something to draw from. I didn't know there were this many types of pear!




Standard examples of eye tests

To make my eye chart as realistic looking as possible (despite the fact it will have images in it rather than letters), I researched types of eye chart, so that I could use these as a template for how I should arrange my design.


Pictograms

As this task is all about the image being able to still communicate over distance and different scales, I figured pictograms would be the perfect thing to research. The key to these symbols working to tell a message is how simple they are, without detail to distract. They work just as well small as they do large, and this is what the images on my eye chart need to do, so I will keep looking back at these pictograms to make sure my images fit in.


Creative eye tests

I had a look for how other people had answered a similar challenge, there weren't many examples available but here are a few to help me understand how to arrange my imagery.





No comments:

Post a Comment