Following my crits, I realised the initial vector imagery I had looked at was a bit childish and wouldn't match in with the theme I was going for, and wouldn't appeal to my target audience, of young professionals with an interest in childhood classics. So I have looked at some simpler illustrations, and I think 1 colour illustrations will appeal to both young and old.
http://www.lemonribbon.com/
These examples I found on printandpattern are vector based, with a handmade feel. Creating something like this would be perfect as it would match in with the hand drawn font. I would use the colours of my colour scheme, or maybe even have my imagery in just black and white, to decorate the page but to still look sophisticated and mature.
I've looked for a few more examples of this hand cut, but not childish type of design to keep looking back at and considering when finishing my illustrations.
Rob Ryan - probably the most obvious example of this kind of imagery, but his designs are obviously far too detailed and complex. What I want to create is really simple image but in this kind of paper cut style (without doing a paper cut!)
The example of Rob Ryan wallpaper works well as its a lot simpler, and the coloured background with the white background looks sophisticated and could work as a pattern in the background or an image on its own.
I've looked for a few more examples of this hand cut, but not childish type of design to keep looking back at and considering when finishing my illustrations.
Rob Ryan - probably the most obvious example of this kind of imagery, but his designs are obviously far too detailed and complex. What I want to create is really simple image but in this kind of paper cut style (without doing a paper cut!)
The example of Rob Ryan wallpaper works well as its a lot simpler, and the coloured background with the white background looks sophisticated and could work as a pattern in the background or an image on its own.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/lindasolovic
I like these examples as they are so simplistic. Again, I'm seeing the white on colour idea and I really like this, it helps things to look more sophisticated.
A different approach, but looking at playing card imagery as this is relevant to the theme of alice in wonderland. These are still quite simplistic. I like the vector approach of the bottom image but I think this looks a bit child like, the style of the top image might work better for the kind of thing I am producing.








No comments:
Post a Comment