Thursday, 15 December 2011

Top 10... TV Show Intros

As I am making a tv show intro, the most obvious place to start is researching other tv show intros. I have looked through so many, so here are a few that particularly stood out.



I absolutely love these opening credits and have found them very inspiring, and will be trying to incorporate some of the effects into my own videos, such as how the objects fly in and off screen, and things zoom in and out. I also like how the camera angle turns to the side, to bring up a completely new screen. There is layer on top of layer on top of layer, to make a detailed opening scene with a lot going on, but never too overcrowded or busy. The song choice works really well as well, and the clip is a good length, so all in all, despite never having heard of the show, I think this intro is great.



I like the mixed media style of this, which is something I want to try. There are videos, movement, static imagery, things coming from nowhere - there is so much going on and the song is quite loud and busy too - but all of these things manage to work, to create an exciting introduction, that obviously a lot of people will have seen as it is a very popular show.




This opening intro is a mix of illustration and moving image, which is something I would like to be able to combine. There are a lot of effects going on, as well as lots of imagery and bright colours, so I think there is a bit too much happening, but as it is a tv intro for a children's tv show it doesn't matter too much, as it suits the target audience.


There are so many still images here flashing so quickly to create a sequence, but with the addition of the song, which is kind of explaining the action, it shows how still images can work for a video. I like how the speed starts up normal, and then gets faster and faster, the pace of the song relating to the pace of the images on screen. We made a still image video in the first year in a workshop, and this is something that I would like to try again at some point.




This seems like quite a simple idea, to edit photographs in to illustrations and give them movement, but it does work, especially with all the effects and patterns and textures that are also included. I like how the text dances in right at the end. It is quite a short introduction, but maybe that is because too many images of the same characters in the same style would get boring after a while.



I have included Doctor Who as an example, because of how the text with the actors names appear, fitting in with the dramatic movement. The way they exit off the screen, coming towards you and then off the screen behind you is also quite an interesting effect. It may not be the most exciting of introductions but it is clever how it feel as if we are moving through this tunnel. Also, as you will notice the BBC logo is included in this intro, and I will need to include the BBC two logo in my ident.



I've never actually heard of this tv show, but I found this intro and thought it was very fitting towards my style. The way things appear makes me think a bit of the desperate housewives intro, which has also been something to inspire me. There are patterns used in the backgrounds, which may be something that I try, or I may include textures. The paper style of it all looks quite crafty and hand made but at the same time the way things move make this look like an animation. The text is quite simple, which is probably to stop it from distracting away from the imagery, however, in my video, I think the text will play quite an important part.



Q.I's intro is another show where the song choice really does impact the movement of the assets on screen. I like how the different images layer on top of each other, moving on their axis, and their direction on screen, and then the way they fly off, due to the use of the camera angle.



Mock the week is another tv show intro where different aspects are layered on to each other to create the effect of things flying in. I don't think this is the best example of a tv show intro, as the different aspects don't seem to share a style, meaning that everything doesn't fit together too well.



I know that some people might disagree, but I do love the opening credits for desperate housewives. I love how there is so much going on, and this introduction has been a great source of inspiration for me. I like the references to classical art, but how these have been animated to have a modern twist. I like the way that things pop up, and then exit as if they are falling over. It is one of those videos that shouldn't work as there is so much going on, but instead it is quite a humorous example.



For the fresh meat intro, I like how what could have been a boring and simple video is actually interesting, due to the animation of the text and a few other aspects. It looks really modern and I think will appeal to the target audience.



The illustrations used in the intro to mad men are so simple, but as a whole, it does work, especially with the mix of vintage imagery.



I tried to find the intros to baking programmes and cooking programmes, as I thought this would be relevant to my research, but couldn't find anything worth including, which in a way is good, as it shows there is a gap for a well made tv intro for a cooking show, however, there wasn't much to inspire me either. This short clip from a Jamie Oliver show is quite simple and seems like something I could actually make.



The Hustle intro is another example of an intro where the song plays an important part in the video, as the action relates to key points of the song. In a way, parts of this intro seem quite basic, like with the illustration, however, as a whole, with all the effects and movement, I think it works really well. The image of the man falling made me think of the mad men tv into up above but I'm not sure which one came first!

I've looked at so many videos and now have lots of ideas for effects which I will include in my storyboards. I still feel a bit intimated at the moment as actually being able to create my own video seems like such a far away goal, but at the same time, I feel inspired, and have more of an idea of what direction I want my tv show intro to go in now.

No comments:

Post a Comment