Sunday, 2 December 2012

Brief 4 / Website Design

A lot of the websites I've looked at for craft websites have been really badly done, so, as I haven't found any craft websites I really like, I've focused on fashion websites, whose style could be adapted to fit in with my theme.

I want to make a website that looks fashionable, stylish, professional, and more like high end luxury crafts, rather than looking like it is for kids. Because this is the style I've seen when I was looking at the websites of competitors. I still want the craft theme that has been used throughout my products to make everything work together as a set. 



Frankie is a fashion magazine website. The actual website design isn't that special but I like the use of pattern behind the buttons, this is quite unusual to see. This could work really well with the craft theme doing something like this as it would give me an opportunity to show off the textures on the website, making everything match in.



The anthropologie website looks quite crafty at the top, with the slightly mismatched way everything is aligned, and the chosen font and use of shadows. But this is mixed with a neat rectangular image box at the bottom, which changes after a few seconds. I could create a website with an image box like this, and then every few seconds a different craft could be shown. 



Another fashion website, this time, Urban Outfitters actual design is quite simple, but with an image box, that changes to allow different promotions to be featured. This would be useful to do something like this as it means the website could be updated regularly to keep looking new without actually having to re-design the layout.



I really like the Liberty London website and think the mix of craft and design with professionalism is just perfect, something I am trying to achieve with my website design. A textured patterned background would be a simple way to do this, to mix the modern and sophisticated with the crafty feel. I could keep the rest of the layout and simple, so the focus would be on the image box, containing more information about the crafts available.



Theres quite a lot going on on this page of the missguided website, but I like their busy approach and it looks like theres a lot of content to read. With the existing craft and design website, theres a lot of content which would need sorting out, so if I decide to keep this content I need to think of an interesting way to do this. So I could organise the different crafts in to different sections, but keep all the important information at the top easy to access.



The top of this website is really simple again, so allows for typographic imagery or details of the clothes in the image box.

___

Now, after looking at fashion websites, I've gone back to the websites of the museums whose branding I particularly liked, to consider the design of these. 



This is a good example as it is simplistic and tidy, so it is easy to find what you need to, which is important, especially with the website for a museum as people will need to find out important details such as the address. Again, the use of a changing image box is used to show the different exhibitions on offer, so another idea for me using one of these could be to feature different studios work.







No comments:

Post a Comment