Tuesday, 28 December 2010

What is Design for Screen?

Brief: Investigate the question "What is Graphic Design For?" by exploring a broad range of contemporary design practice for digital media.

Before starting to study Graphic Design at degree level I had only looked at the subject in terms of advertising and packaging design, mainly for print. After trying to answer the question "What is Graphic Design?" I now know there is so much more to Graphic Design. In the brief I will look at what Design is for screen. I think today Design for screen is becoming much more popular, with nearly everyone using the internet or watching the television, and an increasing amount of interest in products with screens such as I-pads and I-phones.
Video

This video is the opening credits for Disney Pixar film, Monsters Inc. This is my favourite film, and I also love the style of animation used for the opening credits, so this example was an obvious choice when trying to answering the question, what is design for screen?

This video relates to a storyline based on the lifes on teenagers from the E4 series Skins. I think this video is beautiful and not what you would expect to see from this type of television programme.

Graphic Design is seen in music videos and I think this is a good example as it is not too obvious, instead it works well complimenting the film.
Idents
An obvious example of design for screen are idents, in particular the famous channel 4 ones. I have looked at these before for visual langage. They are an example of design for screen as they work best as a TV advert.

Promo
Websites are created to promote the release of new films, with games, clips and downloads to keep the attention of the audience.

Online Shops




Graphic design is so important for online shops, especially if they are only available online, as you dont really know what the company are like. Through the graphic design on a website, the company can show its identity. The websites need to be easy to navigate around, to stop a potential customer from getting confused and losing interest in the site. They need to be simple, but also stylish. If the design was too decorative, it may stop the actual products on show from standing out.

Kinetic type

Marcofolio - List of motion typography examples
There are many interesting examples of kinetic typography on Youtube.
This video is a lesson in typography. I think this is a much more interesting way to learn, showing that design for screen can be educational.
The song is Technologic by Daft Punk, and the actions of the lyrics are played out through type.
There are lots of examples of Graphic Design students stop motion typography videos on youtube.
Info Graphics

It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words and some examples of info graphics can prove this. Data which would usually be boring can be presented in a way that doesn't bore the viewer through the use of Graphic Design.

Data Flow

I-Pad Apps
With modern technology such as the Apple products I-phones and the I-pad, design for screen is now handheld, and can be taken anywhere.

Website Design

The images on this website are actually made with hand-rendered type, but displayed on screen. The layout on screen is important, and with this design being on screen it allows for the website to do things such as pop-ups.

Interactive Games
On screen, design can become interactive, such as online games.

Film Credits/ DVD Menus

These examples of Graphic Design on a screen are screenshots from the DVD of film 'Cloudy with a chance of meatballs'.

No comments:

Post a Comment