I looked in Children's books as well as on the internet to find out more about Dinosaurs, as well as to look at styles of illustrations, book layouts and what else is already available. Here are some scans from the books I have looked at.
The Dangerous Book for Boys
Henry's House Dinosaurs - Philip Ardagh (Illustrated by Mike Gordon)
Totally Dead Dinosaurs - Martin Oliver
Ripley's Dinosaurs - Believe It or Not!
Field Guide to Dinosaurs - Steve Brusatte
Week one
There is a lot of detail in the images and design in the Dinosaur Encyclopaedia and the Ripley's Dinosaur book, yet they seem to be aimed more at boys, focussing on how scary the dinosaurs are. I have learnt a lot about dinosaurs from these informative books, but I think my dinosaur cards will be quite different, as I want to appeal to a slightly younger audience, as well as being interesting to both boys and girls.
Week four
Now that I have decided to create a book instead of cards, researching different types of dinosaur books is even more important, as I need to make sure what I am creating is individual and would stand out from the other dinosaur books available. Also, by looking at the covers of these books and the pages inside, I can ensure I include all the information I need to make my book seem realistic.
Colouring In / Activity Pages
As I am creating colouring pages which contain information about the dinosaurs as well as the possibility of also containing activities, I decided to look at some successful examples to see what is relevant to what age range.
I don't think creating a colouring page like this disney colouring in page would be suitable for my project, as I am creating 100 pages, so to print this many in colour would be expensive, and I also think it would look too busy.Disney's Bambi
These colouring pages are interesting as they contain scenes which could help the person looking at the book understand more about the world that dinosaurs lived in. However, they are very busy, and don't contain any information about the dinosaurs.Crayola
I think these are the best images as there is a small amount of background scene but it does not take over the page, and there could possibly be space for text. Colouring Book Fun
Colouring Pencil Packaging
I intend to supply colouring pencils with my final product, and so will need to create packaging for these pencils which works as a set with my product. I did a quick google image search of pencil packaging to help give me some ideas where to start.
As well as looking at dinosaurs in books, I thought about which films/TV programmes were famous for dinosaur characters. However, in the end, I decided to create a book and not a moving image.
Jurassic park Disney Dinosaur
Toy Story 1, 2 & 3 Barney

































No comments:
Post a Comment