Wednesday, 12 January 2011

Collection 100: Dinosaurs in Crafts and Illustration

Initial dinosaur image research

Before deciding on what I would create for the Collection 100 brief, I researched general dinosaur images to help inspire what to do next. 

Click to enlarge

Although this image probably isn't relevant to what I will create, I find it really interesting due to the amount of creatures there are and the size they take over. As this brief is all about '100', I also have the opportunity to create something quite dramatic.

istockphoto                                     Etsy









     


Dinosaurs in illustrations and patterns for children

When I eventually decided that I would create dinosaur cards for children, I thought it would be useful to look at the different styles of illustrators who have drawn dinosaurs. These styles of illustrations are quite different to the illustrations I have found in the dinosaur books I have looked at. In the books, the designs are detailed, with the emphasis seeming to be on how scary the dinosaurs are, and the target audience seems to be boys. I prefer these designs, which are more attractive to look, and I think would appeal better to younger girls. I like the simplicity of the images, meaning that the focus can be on the interesting shapes of the dinosaurs, rather than the details in their skin. The bright, unrealistic colours also draw my attention more to this style of illustration than the serious style in the dinosaur books. I would also like to experiment with creating patterns with the dinosaur illustrations I will create, as I think these could be useful for packaging.




Volksfaden                                              Fred the Dog
 


 

Sian Tucker                                   Johnny Yanok
 

No comments:

Post a Comment